Making these simple changes to your hair care regime, and focusing more on your scalp health will ensure good results. But remember, you have to be patient. Good scalp and hair health takes time and you can’t expect to see changes overnight. Commit to these lifestyle changes and product upgrades that’s when you’ll enjoy the beauty and benefits of long, lustrous and voluminous hair!
Good Scalp Habits for Healthier Hair
Let’s dive deep and battle the root cause (no pun intended!) of most of our hair problems!
We all have different hair types – straight, wavy, curly, porous, fine, thick… the list goes on. And yet, all of us seem to struggle with one or the other kind of hair problem. It could be dandruff, frizz, split ends etc. Why is that?
What most people don’t realise, is that healthy hair starts with a healthy scalp. We tend to focus only on the strands – using serums and heat protecting sprays. But, the way we wash our scalp and the products we use on the scalp surface determine how good or bad the condition of our hair is. It’s also important to remember that besides the products we use, diet and lifestyle play a big role in maintaining the health of our scalp and thus, our hair!
Do you want to know some easy changes you can make to take better care of your hair and scalp health?
Let’s first understand the signs that indicate poor scalp health.
Maintain a good diet
Just like any other part of our body, our hair and scalp too is affected by what we eat. Do you notice your skin breaking out when you eat a lot of junk food? Or feeling bloated when you eat a lot of sugar and salt? Similarly, a lot of scalp troubles can be attributed to a poor diet. Good scalp health requires holistic attention; no products can truly cure all our hair problems if our diet is not right. To improve your scalp health through your diet, you should –
- Include hair-nourishing foods such as almonds, coconuts, curry leaves, fennel, sesame seeds, amla and even pomegranates, in your meals!
- Eat plenty of raw fruits and vegetables everyday. Experts recommend 2 servings of fruit and 5 servings of vegetables a day.
- Add more whole grains to your diet. Include items like quinoa, millets, whole wheat, oats and so on.
- Increase your protein intake. Protein-rich foods are very beneficial to nourish the scalp and strengthen hair.
Manage your stress
We all know that too much stress can have a negative impact on our bodies. Similarly, it can affect our scalp and hair too. Some people notice an increase in dandruff, hair fall and lack of lustre when undergoing severe stress. Managing your stress in healthy and natural ways can do a lot to improve your overall scalp health. Here are a few things you can try to decrease or manage your stress:
- Deep breathing and meditation
- Art therapy
- Spending time in nature
- Ensuring 7-8 hours of sleep every night
If none of these work, you may consider seeking professional help from a therapist who can help you with stress management techniques.
Ensure regular, nourishing scalp care
Now, diet and stress management are definitely helpful to take better care of the scalp. But a little TLC every now and then too can help quite a lot! Many of us ignore taking care of our scalp, and treat the hair only. But lack of scalp care can lead to poor hair conditions which can be tough to reverse. So, here are a ways you could nourish your scalp, through regular care:
- Regular oil massages can help stimulate blood flow to the scalp which in turn boosts hair growth, strengthens hair from the root and also relaxes the body and mind.
- SLS and paraben-free hair masks are extremely effective in nourishing the scalp and roots of your hair. A good hair mask acts like a super-power conditioner and deeply enriches the scalp skin, helps reduce dandruff, removes product buildup and results in smoother, softer skin. Try our Fermented Rice Water Hair Mask, inspired by a traditional recipe used by the Meitei tribe from Manipur. It is made with natural ingredients and can be used for a deep conditioning treatment, as a pre-wash dandruff treatment, or even as a quick, post-wash conditioner. It also helps to reduce hair fall, promote hair growth and maintain a good balance of the scalp resulting in better hair health.
Birdsong’s Fermented Rice Water Hair Mask